WHAT WE DO
Success – securing critical energy infrastructures
Living in a safe and secure society is a fundamental human need. Today’s energy providers have really embraced change. There is already hugh transformation happening in the energy sector due to the renewable energies, consumers become producers and on the other hand devices in the home, such as Smart Meters and Smart e-Vehicle chargers, can communicate directly with the utility. The electrical energy production will be decentralised and the grid is becoming an open system with a large number of players. Making the grid open requires bringing us to develop new technologies to secure the reliability.
The success project will develop an overarching approach to threat and countermeasure analysis with special focus on the vulnerabilities introduced by Smart Meters.
The project aims at designing, developing and validating on small scale field trials a novel holistic adaptable security framework which is able to significantly reduce the risks of cyber threats and attacks when next generation, realtime, scalable, unbundled smart meters are deployed in smart electricity grids, enabling innovative applications and value added services within the emerging smart decentralised energy system paradigm.
SUCCESS will achieve this objective by encapsulating the key challenges of Security, Resilience, Survivability and Privacy into 3 use cases which will focus the research, implementation and evaluation concepts of the project.
The concepts will drive investigations of threats and vulnerabilities of current and future Smart Meters, power network devices and power networks, the definition and implementations of countermeasures and their use in the SUCCESS field trials demonstrating the countermeasures at work.
The Success scope
The SUCCESS project addresses both utilities networks and the communications networks and IT capabilities that support them. It considers both of these infrastructures as they are currently used, as they will be used in 2020 with Next Generation functionality and finally as they will be used and designed in the time beyond 2030.
SUCCESS examines the interdependencies and exploits the potential interactions between the communications and critical utility infrastructures in order to use them to provide countermeasures embedding security, resilience and survivability into Future Smart Grid Networks. Security means security of supply and resilience to all types of threats: not only Cyber-attacks but also adverse weather conditions or any other potentially disruptive event such as loss of equipment.
SUCCESS results will ensure the security of Critical Energy infrastructures based on Smart Metering, by:
- Driving business innovations in customer-centric energy networks with our Advisory Board, our fast forward communications approach and our interactive services of events,
- Accelerating the growth of European service and product companies in the rapidly growing utility security markets with our research and innovation results, many of which are applicable to wide range of IoT applications.
- Creating jobs in start-up and growing companies by working with accelerators, and
- Training students on our novel approaches to securing utility networks and devices in a free Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) course.
The research concepts, implemented countermeasures and field trials will also address these three time to impact contexts resulting in a comprehensive set of results with short, medium and long term impact on the security of critical infrastructures.
In conjunction with these timescales, all work packages will have a focus on the three use cases defined to encapsulate critical scenarios, prioritized by DSOs, for investigation in the project:
- Use Case 1: Secure enhanced wide area flexible generation monitoring for optimized network operation
- Use Case 2: Secure optimized management and coordination of EVs charging with DSO operation
- Use Case 3: Secure AMI enabling Real Time Demand Response and Optimized storage management for DSO Local Balancing